P. O. Box 357
Surry, Virginia 23883
Fax: (757) 294-5297
The Building Official’s office assures that all building constructed in the County conform to safety and health requirements as mandated by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. The office accepts permit applications, review applications for compliance and issue permits for the proposed work. Site visits are performed at various stages of completion to ensure that construction proceeds in compliance with approved plans and that structural, electrical, mechanical and plumbing work is compliant with applicable code requirements. The department issues a certificate of occupancy after successful completion of construction.
Surry County utilizes the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. This document is produced by the Virginia Board of Housing and Community Development and is based on the International Code Council (ICC). The current edition of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code is 2012 and the referenced ICC model codes are listed below.
- To request an inspection please provide the permit number, type of inspection, and job address.
- Only Footing inspections will be inspected on the same day as requested.
- All inspections must be requested prior to 4:30p.m. to be scheduled for the next business day.
- While we will make every effort to perform the inspection on the next day, please allow 2 business days for completion of each inspection requested.
- A Re-Inspection fee of $25.00 will be assessed if the job is not ready for the requested inspection.
- A fine of $100.00 will be charged for work started prior to receiving a permit.
Reference:2012 International Building Code 2012 International Residential and Fire Prevention Code 2012 International Property Maintenance Code 2012 International Mechanical Code 2012 International Plumbing Code 2011 National Electrical Code
The code enforcement officer can be reached at the number listed on this page.