Home » Department » Public Works » Recycling
Public Works

Mixed Recyclables

Containers are now located at all of the County's Solid Waste Collection sites to collect recyclable materials such as:

Cardboard Boxes (must be flattened)
Mixed Papers  (junk mail and newspapers)
#1 and #2 Plastic Bottles and Containers  (must be rinsed clean with lids discarded)
Glass Bottles and Jars  (must be rinsed clean)
Steel, Tin and Aluminum Cans  (must be rinsed clean) 

Recyclable materials can be deposited into one container - sorting is not necessary!

The following items CANNOT be recycled:

Aerosol Cans     Paint Cans     Plastic Bags
Wood Products     Yard or Organic Waste


For a copy of the County's Recycling Brochure, click here. 


Recycling Electronics:

Effective Monday, January 15, 2015 all manned Convenience Sites will accept electronic equipment for recycling.  The following items are acceptable for recycling:

Laptop Computers
CPU Desktop Computers
CRT Monitors
LCD Monitors
Hard Drives
Surge Protectors
Video Cards
Printers & Copiers
Computer Mice
VCR & DVD Players
Misc. Audio/Video Equipment
Wires, Power Cords and Printer Cables
Cellular Phones
Microwave Ovens
Vacuum Cleaners
Small Home Appliances
Light Fixtures


Please ask attendants for assistance to ensure that your items are placed in the designated container.  Televisions cannot be accepted at this time.


 Reusable Clothing and Shoes:

Goodwill Industries has placed a container box at the Goodson Path Solid Waste Collection Station where citizens are encouraged to contribute reusable clothing and shoes only.  Household and other items cannot be donated to Goodwill via this collection container.  For more information, contact the County Administrator's office at 294-5271 or the Goodson Path Collection Station at 294-0543. 


 Recycling Tires:

County residents can bring automobile tires to the Goodson Path site for recycling.  Tires must be off the rims.  No tractor tires will be accepted and attendants may not accept more than 4 tires per day per residence.


 Recycling Scrap Metal:

Scrap metal is accepted at the Goodson Path site only.  Site attendants will determine which items are acceptable.


Recycling Used Motor Oil and Batteries:

Residents can dispose of used motor oil and vehicle batteries by contacting Surry Equipment, Inc. at 757-294-3861.


 Recycling Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

By replacing incandescent bulbs with compact Fluorescent light bulbs (CFL’s) residents can reduce their energy consumption, reduce pollution and save money.  CFL’s use 75% less energy and last  up to 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.  Since they produce about 70% less heat, their use can result in lower cooling costs during warmer months.

CFL’s are safe to use in your home or business in spite of the fact that they contain about 5mg of mercury.  However, when disposing of  CFL bulbs, one does need to be cautious.  If a CFL breaks, the mercury contained in its tubing can be released into the environment.  

While Surry County does not currently provide for the recycling of CFL’s, area home improvement stores will recycle unbroken CFL bulbs free of charge for residents in their service area.  Check with the home improvement stores in your area for more information.