Current opportunities for employment are listed below. Please download one of the application forms below and submit your application to the appropriate department for the position listed that you are applying for.
For information about the Surry County Resource and Employment Center, click here.
PAYROLL: For Surry County Employee access to E-Stub, click here.
Employment Application Form:
SURRY COUNTY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Part-Time Emergency Communications Dispatcher
Surry County is seeking a part-time dispatcher to work in the E-911 Communications Center of the Sheriff’s Office. The preferred candidate must be able to; multi-task between radio and phone communications, communicate information clearly to deputies, fire, rescue and animal control as necessary for emergency and non-emergency calls for service. This position also requires; typing ability, knowledge of the county geographically and/or the ability to read maps, data entry, compliance with policies and procedures and the ability to handle stressful situations while communicating with the public and first responders.
Note: Requires availability to include days, evenings, midnights, rotating shifts, weekends, holidays and extended shifts. Dispatchers are essential personnel and are placed on standby for all major events to include weather related emergencies and special events.
The preferred candidate must already be certified as a Basic Dispatcher, VCIN (Virginia Criminal Information Network) Operator and possess a high school diploma or GED. The preferred candidate must also possess a valid driver’s license; have reliable transportation and no criminal record. The position will remain open until filled. Interested persons are encouraged to download an application (above) and return the completed county job application form to:
Sheriff Carlos Turner P. O. Box 233 Surry, Virginia 23883
If you have any questions, please contact Sheriff Carlos Turner or Tamara B. Arthur, Emergency Services Coordinator at (757) 294-5264.
SURRY COUNTY IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Surry County Job Opportunity
Deputy Sheriff - Certified
The Surry County Sheriff’s Office is accepting applications for a full-time deputy sheriff’s position. The applicant must be certified in Law Enforcement. The following requirements are applicable:
• DCJS certification in Law Enforcement.
• Minimum age of 21 years.
• Must be a citizen of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the United States.
• Must possess and maintain throughout employment a Virginia Operator’s License without any restrictions affecting job performance and in good standing.
• All candidates must have good moral character as determined by a background investigation.
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must be in good health and pass a physical and psychology test.
• Experience and Law Enforcement training preferred.
• Must successfully complete mandated DCJS training and certifications.
• Must furnish a copy of your high school, GED and college transcripts as well as any other information requested.Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Any questions should be addressed to the Surry County Sheriff’s Office at (757) 294-5264. A completed Surry County employment application (available above) should be mailed to:Surry County Sheriff’s Office
Att: Sheriff Carlos TurnerP.O. Box 233Surry, VA 23883
It is important that you fill out the application completely and to the best of your ability. Your application will be used as part of the certification process and should represent your best effort and accurately reflect your knowledge, skills and abilities. You will only be contacted if chosen for an interview.
The applicant will be required to perform the following steps in the application process prior to employment:
• Must submit a Surry County application of employment.
• Must pass a written examination.
• Must pass the oral interview board.
• Conduct an interview with the Sheriff.
Law enforcement is a rewarding career that offers challenge, excitement, variety, and job satisfaction. Medical, dental, and vision coverage available. We appreciate your interest in the Surry County Sheriff’s Office, and invite you to apply and experience the rewards of a career in law enforcement.
SURRY COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER