Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities of Surry County Animal Control Officers:
- Enforcement of state and local animal laws and ordinances
- Animal control, protection, and welfare
- Investigation of animal bites
- Investigation of rabies cases
- Investigation of livestock claims due to stray dogs
- Investigation of cruelty cases
Animal Control officers are on duty daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. as well as being available for emergencies 24 hours a day. Citizens in need of assistance from the Animal Control Department should contact staff at the Shelter 757-294-0158 during regular business hours, or contact the Surry County Emergency Communications Office 757-294-5264 before 8 a.m. and after 5 p.m. so that an Animal Control officer may be dispatched.
The Surry County Animal Shelter is open for adoptions, animal surrenders, visits and other inquiries as follows:
- Mondays from 1:00pm to 4:30pm - by appointment only
- Tuesdays through Fridays from 1:00pm to 4:30pm
- 2nd and 4th Saturdays each month from 12:00noon to 4:00pm
It is the mission of Surry County Animal Control to humanely enforce the Ordinances of Surry County and the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as they pertain to domestic animals and the public's health, safety and welfare. Surry County Animal Control will further serve the citizens of the County by educating the public concerning the laws and ordinances; their importance to our community and to the domestic animals housed in the County.
Through reasonable and responsible application of education, warning/citation, and the impoundment of domestic animals, Surry County Animal Control will strive to reduce and prevent animal related problems in the County.