Commissioner of the Revenue
The Commissioner of the Revenue is elected by the citizens every four years and is the chief assessing office for Surry County. The Commissioner is responsible for the assessment of all real estate in the County, and for the maintenance and retention of accurate property records. This office also works with the reassessment firm during general real estate reassessments.
In addition, the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office:
- Prepares information for the Personal Property tax book
- Provides assessments on all vehicles, boats, mobile homes, trailers, tangible business property, etc.
- Verifies vehicle qualification for the Personal Property Tax Relief Act
- Assists the public with preparation of state income tax filing and estimated payments
- Issues and maintains business licenses
- Coordinates income tax relief for the elderly/disabled and disabled veterans
The mission of the Commissioner's Office is to provide superior and quality service in the following areas:
- Assessment of Tangible Personal Property
- Assessment of Tangible Business Property
- Issuance and Renewal of County Business Licenses (Except for Those in Towns)
- Assistance With and Processing of Virginia State Income Taxes
- Assistance With Real Estate Elderly and Disabled Tax Relief
- Assistance With Veterans Real Estate Tax Relief
- Updating Real Estate Records Including Deed Transfers, Splits and New Construction
- Assistance With General Real Estate Reassessments, Which Are Contracted Out to a Reassessment Firm
The Commissioner of the Revenue has the following stated goals:
- To assist the citizens and land owners of Surry County
- To provide fair and equitable assessments to those we serve
- To fairly and equitable identify and assess all sources of revenue to which the County is entitled according to the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the County of Surry
- To provide efficient and courteous service to the citizens of Surry County
- To promote greater tax relief for senior citizens of Surry County
- Business License Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Certificate of Workers Compensation (PDF)
- Personal Property Brochure (PDF)
- Real Estate Tax Relief Application (PDF)
- Return of Tangible Personal and Business Property/Machinery and Tools Form (PDF)
- Surry County Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled Requirements (PDF)
- How do I obtain a Surry County business license?
- How is personal property assessed?
- Am I eligible for a deduction if my vehicle has high mileage?
- Does my vehicle qualify for personal property tax relief?
- What if I move taxable personal property out of Surry County or sell it during the tax year?
- What if I move taxable personal property into Surry County or purchase it during the tax year?
- I am an active duty member of the military. How is my personal property taxed?
- Who determines the tax rates for the county?