Agendas / Meeting Minutes
The Board of Supervisors strives to maintain a strong commitment towards efficiency and effectiveness in County government and positively impact the public safety, health, education and welfare of the citizens of Surry through effective leadership and fiscal integrity. The Board will encourage the orderly growth and development of the community to enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Surry County.
- Promote growth in a manner which protects the County’s agriculture, environment, quality of life and historic resources
- Balance quality of government services with fiscal integrity
- Enhance relations with the stakeholders of County government
- Keep citizens informed; encourage openness and participation in government
- Work with regional economic development organizations to promote Surry County as the ideal business location
- Continue to exercise sound financial management and build the County’s fiscal strength while minimizing the property tax burden
- Support the development and deployment of broadband technology
- Work closely with the School System to plan joint County services and facilities
- Increase public services and facilities relative to tourism, parks & recreation and library services
- Implement a Capital Improvement Plan in conjunction with the County’s Comprehensive Plan
- Promote and maintain a quality workforce; equip employees with the resources needed to be efficient and effective
- Work to ensure the safety, security and maintenance of all County facilities
- Work closely with legislators and regional organizations in critical public policy areas
The Board of Supervisors is a five member board elected to a four year term by registered voters as representatives of each of the County's five election districts. The members and the district they represent are noted below. Current terms will expire December 31, 2019.
The Board of Supervisors typically meets on the first Thursday of each month, although additional meetings are scheduled as necessary. Regularly scheduled meetings are held in the General District Courtroom, 45 School Street, at 7:00 pm.
At their meeting on January 2, 2014, the Surry County Board of Supervisors adopted a Strategic Action Agenda to prioritize future actions of the Board. Click here, for a copy of the Strategic Action Agenda.
For more information about the Board of Supervisors, their meetings, contacting them or requesting information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), click here; or contact the Surry County Administrative Office.
(Left to Right above: Supervisor Michael Drewry; Supervisor Giron Wooden, Sr.;Supervisor Kenneth Holmes; Supervisor John Seward; Supervisor Judy Lyttle; and Mr. Tyrone Franklin, County Administrator.) John M. Seward, Chairperson
Surry District Michael H. Drewry, Vice-ChairDendron District Judy S. LyttleBacon's Castle District Giron R. Wooden, Sr.Claremont District Kenneth R. Holmes
For information about the National Association of Counties Prescription Discount Card Program, click here.
For a link to the VDOT Board of Supervisors Manual, click here.
Surry County Board of Supervisors By-Laws, adopted February 2, 2017.